Important Guidelines for Judges
1. Check in and pick up and return all ballots to the TAB table after each round of debate. Never, never, ever hold on to a ballot after you have finished judging a round. Take the ballot immediately to the tab room.
2. Make sure you completely fill out each part of the ballot after each round you have judged. Do not hold on to the ballot to be fill-out at a later time.
3. Stay in the designated area for judges or cafeteria. Never leave the building without informing the tab room.
4. Bring and use a timer. Please make sure to keep track of the time. You are the official time keeper in the round. Debaters may assist you in keeping time, but it is ultimately, your responsibility to ensure that both sides have equal time.
5. You may help calm a nervous debater, but may not assist in aiding any debater in such a way that they gain an advantage over the other team.
6. You have the authority to ask observers to leave the room if they are being disruptive.
7. Do not reveal which side won the debate.
8. Please offer constructive criticism at the end of the debate, but limit your advice and feedback to five minutes. The tab room needs you ballot as quick as possible following the debate round.
** Remember: The entire tournament can be delayed significantly by a single ballot not being returned quickly, not returned at all, not picked up from the tab room and the unknown whereabouts of judge.
Public Forum Debate Ballot